Monday, October 6, 2008

Academic Transformation exercise 5.4

Are You Committed?
1. Your thoughts and feelings about the institution you attend:
a. Are you proud to be a student there?
I am actually very proud to be able to attend San Jose State University because I am the first person in my family to attend college.
b. Is it important that your degree come from the institution?
Yes, one of my goals in life is to graduate from college with a degree. Whether it's from San Jose or from a more prestigious school I plan on graduating.
c. Do you feel a sense of belonging; in other words, is this institution a good fit for you?
I do feel a sense of belonging at school in general. I want to be able to grow up and graduate
with a good career in mind. Many people graduate high school without the "want" to go to
college. I feel like the only path for my life right now is college.
d. Have you relinquished your bonds to your former school and transferred your
loyalties to this one?
Yes, I feel like this school is my new home. I feel like I have graduated from high school and
and that is in the past now. I now attend San Jose State and I am proud to tell people that.
e. Are you comfortable in your dealings with the faculty, the staff, and other students?
So far the faculty and staff have been very comfortable to deal with. I have no grudges with
any one thus far. I will try my hardest to maintain this relationship with them so I could ease
through school much easier.
2. Your goals for attending college:
a. What is your main goal for attending college?
My main goal I have set for myself is to graduate with a good degree. I want to be able to
have a comfortable future for myself, and the only way to do that is to do well in school.
b. Have you made a clear choice of a major or selected a program of study?
I have chosen to study Civil Engineering as a Major, but it is not clear yet. I am deciding
wether to change my major to Business because I want to make sure to choose a major that
I like and will give me the most money.
c. Is it important for you to have a college degree or to get certified in a particular
program?
As of now it is the most important thing in my life. I try not to let to many things distract me
from my studies.
d. Will attending college result in a better job or change in career?
Attending college will definitely better my chances of getting a good career. To be able to
work as a professional you must attend college to learn how to do our job. If you don't go to
college you are most likely to get a regular blue collar job.
e. Have you investigated graduate/professional programs?
I have found out that Civil Engineering is a very promising career.
f. Have you completed any internships or volunteered or worked part-time in a field
related to your academic goal?
Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to intern at any type of Civil Engineering firm.
I am planning on doing that this upcoming summer.
g. What are your academic ambitions, including GPA and honor societies?
My ambition is to at least receive a 3.0 GPA in my stay at San Jose State. Hopefully I will be
able to attend some type of honor program.

3. Support from family members:
a. Does your family support your desire to attend college?
The I only support system I received was that of my family. They were s proud of me when
I decided to attend college. They are still pushing me to this day to make something out of
myself. They cannot wait for that day to come, the day when I walk on stage with that diploma
in my hand.
b. If you live at home, do they make it possible for you to study?
I always used to have the best study conditions when I lived at home. I had my own room and
if I ever needed a quiet time to study I would close my door and would not be disturbed.
c. Do they help you financially?
My parents continue to help me out financially. I am planning on getting another job so
I could help them out with a few bills. Before school started I had a job and paid for my own
phone bill, clothes, and gas. I had to quit my job to come to school, but I am currently looking
for a job so I could take some pressure off my parents.


No comments: