Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Academic Transformation exercise 6.6

Matching Your Cognitive Level to a College Course.
My Difficult Course: English 1A

1. What cognitive level of developmental does your teacher exhibit? Using perry's stages of cognitive development, analyze your teacher's cognitive level of development according to the following criteria: 

a. attitude/behaviors toward students.
For the time I have spent with my teacher he seems to have built a relationship of   absolute authority over us. He has established himself as a an advisor who helps, but hasn't really made a friendship with his students.
b. instructional methods used.
He is a very fast teacher, one needs to pay attention very carefully to catch everything he says. He cover material quickly and hands out a lot of work. He also does a lot of group activities.
c. types of assignments.
He gives us much reading and a good amount of worksheets. We have homework every class and he enjoys assigning essays.
d. types of examinations.
He has only given us one test which was our midterm. It was long, difficult, and required much studying.
e. course policies.
For the most part he is most lenient when it comes to class policies. We don't have to attend, but if we don't it affects us. We can leave the class whenever we want to use the bathroom or leave. We also have to sign into the class whenever taking role.
f. teaching styles.
He appreciates class participation. He asks questions in class and he expects people to respond, we also have many group discussions.

2. What is your cognitive level of development for this class? Analyze your cognitive level according to the following criteria:

a. attitude toward how your teacher interacts with you and the class.
My attitude with my teacher is always with respect. I always respect my elders and show him my full attention. Although sometimes this task may be difficult I still do it.
b. comfort level with your teacher's instructional methods.
My comfort level always adjusts according to the teachers teaching methods. Personally I don't really mind his teaching style because I have been able to keep up with his assignments.
c. amount of extra readings and assignments you complete
I don't really complete extra assignment I just do what he assigns. It hasn't come to the point where I need extra credit.
d. ability to successfully perform well on assignments
So far I have been getting decent grades in this class. I have turned in a few papers that I received a B on and I recently took a test. Hopefully I received a good grade on that test. I am proud of my hard work so far, but there is always room for improvement.
e. ability to successfully complete ad pass examinations.
The last test we took had an hour time limit to complete 100 questions. Unfortunately the time limit was insufficient and I did not complete it. I completed enough to pass with a good grade hopefully, but I could of done better.
f. comfort level with courses policies
The class policies haven't given me a problem yet. I am satisfied with the amount of freedom we receive in that class. We are responsible for our attendance in that class. We decide whether we pass or fail the class.

3. If there is congruence between you and your teacher, how can this be useful toward your learning the material and completing the course? If there is incongruence, how can this hinder your learning?

I wouldn't really say we have an incongruence, but it isn't exactly a congruence either. The relationship between my professor and I is non existent. He basically assigns the work and I complete it. He grades it and returns it to me without saying a word. So far it has not affected me because I have been getting my work done.

1 comment:

camccune said...

Sounds like you're doing well in this class and that you've reached an accommodation with this prof, if not a "relationship."
10/10